The Patten Free Library in Bath contains the Sagadahoc History Room, which holds the collections of the Bath Historical Society as well as numerous other historical and genealogical resources.
The Patten brothers, George and John, were generous subscribers to the Patten Library Association, which was founded in 1847. The subscription library kept its collection in rented rooms and later a donated house until Galen C. Moses gave $10,000 for the construction of a new library building, with the stipulation that its use be free to all Bath citizens.
Construction began in 1889 on the new library, designed by George Harding, and was completed in 1890, at a total cost of $15,000. An Open House was held January 1, 1891, for all to attend. The library was expanded in 1961 and again in 1998.
Selected Patten Free Library images:
- Architectural rendering of Patten Free Library, Bath, ca. 1888
- Journals of Lewis and Clark, Biddle-Allen edition
- Patten Free Library Interior, ca.1891
- Wm King's Sales Receipt for Works of Jefferson 1830
- Newly completed Patten Free Library, Bath, ca. 1890
- Flooded Washington and Centre Streets, Bath, ca. 1941
- Opening of Carlton Bridge, Bath, Nov. 15, 1927
- Fred Swanton with Camera, Bath, ca. 1887
- Centre street, Bath, ca. 1950
- Liberty Theatre, Front Street, Bath, ca. 1923
- Center Street, Bath, ca. 1925
- William King Bank, Bath, ca. 1859