In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Patten Free Library

William King Bank, Bath, ca. 1859

Contributed by Patten Free Library
MMN Item 11577 Item Details
William King Bank, Bath, ca. 1859
MMN Item 11577 Zoom

Description

In this picture, taken looking south on Front Street in Bath, the Bath Bank is the Greek Revival building facing north, at the intersection with Center Street.

The Bath Bank, Bath's first financial institution, was built in 1810 by Wm. King and chartered in 1812. During its tenure (1812-1831), King was its only president except for a brief period in 1821

From his office on the second floor, King had a commanding view of the heart of downtown Bath. While King was Collector of Customs (1829-1834) and after he lost that position, the Customs House was located on the second floor of the bank building until the Federal Building was completed in 1858.

King owned the building until 1834, at which time it was sold to the United States; upon completion of the Federal Building, the Customs House moved there and the Bath Bank building was sold to the Sagadahoc Bank in 1859.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.